fingal /

Social Welfare

What payment can I claim if I lose my job? Am I entitled to payment if my working week is reduced?
A. You may be entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit, this is a non-means tested weekly unemployment payment based on your Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contributions.  If you do not qualify for a Jobseeker's Benefit payment, you may qualify for the means tested Job Seekers Allowance.

To qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit, a person must be unemployed for at least 3 days in 6 and must suffer a substantial loss of employment and be available for work and looking for work. Unemployed persons who are classified as casual workers do not have to have suffered a substantial loss of employment.

Please click on the links for further information on Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance.

Where should I apply/sign on for Jobseekers Benefit /Jobseekers Allowance?
You should apply at your Social Welfare Local Office or Branch Office. Click here for locations of Social Welfare Offices in Fingal. Click here for further information on Signing On for Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance.

What documents do I need to bring when making a claim for Jobseeker’s Benefit/Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Completed Application Form
  • Photo ID (passport/driving licence)
  • P.45 should be submitted if it is available when making a claim or as soon as it becomes available.
  • Proof of address: Recent bills from utility companies e.g. electricity, telephone (landline or mobile), gas, cable television, waste charges, etc.
  • Letter from your employer if your hours have been reduced
  • P60’s (last 2 years to assist with your claim)
  • Letter registering with FÁS (call to your local FÁS office to register)

How will I get my payment?
Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance are paid weekly in arrears in a post office using a social welfare services card and valid ID.

Will it be long before I get my payment? What can I do in the meantime?
It is not possible to say how long it will take to process your claim. Persons who find themselves in financial difficulty may apply for assistance under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance scheme. Applications can be made to the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre.  Click here for a locations of Community Welfare Offices in Fingal.

Click here for further information on the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.

Can I get any help with my rent or mortgage payments?
The Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme, which includes Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement, is administered on behalf of the Department of Social Protection by the Community Welfare Services division of the Health Service Executive. Applications can be made to the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre.

If I get a redundancy payment, am I entitled to anything?
In certain circumstances a person who has been made redundant shall be disqualified from receiving Jobseeker's Benefit for a period of up to 9 weeks from the last date of employment. This disqualification applies only to persons who are:

  • under age 55, AND
  • have received or are entitled to a payment in excess of €50,000 under the Redundancy Payments Acts or under an agreement with their employer. This amount includes the gross amount of all payments in respect of the redundancy, e.g., statutory redundancy, top-up or ex-gratia payments related to weeks of service, early encashment of pension entitlements (if from employer's funds) and any other money received under an agreement with the employer.

What about my PRSI/social insurance record while I am unemployed?
Credited contributions are awarded for the duration of claims, subject to the conditions of being available for, capable of and genuinely seeking work being fulfilled.

I booked a holiday while I was still in employment. If I go on the holiday, will I still get my jobseekers payment?
A person may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for 2 weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.

The person is required to inform the Local Office 2 weeks in advance of their departure and to complete form UP 30. All holiday payments should be made retrospectively, upon confirmation of the position when the person signs on again (on the next normal signing day after their return). If a person goes on holiday for longer than 2 weeks, they may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but should not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

I'm currently on a jobseekers payment. I'm thinking of setting up a business but will I be entitled to any payment if I don't get sufficient work?
If you are unemployed you may qualify for a social welfare payment, either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance. To get either of these payments you must apply at your Social Welfare Local Office. For further information please see Social Welfare for the Self Employed

I have been self-employed for some time but I now have no work. Is there anything I can claim?
Applicants who do not have the required PRSI contributions for Jobseeker's Benefit may apply for Jobseeker's Allowance.  Please click here for further information on PRSI Contributions.

How often will I be required to sign on at the social welfare office? 
It is for the local office to decide how often the person must sign, where and at what times. A person may be disallowed for failure to sign on. Usually customers sign once a month but this may vary.








latest poll

Was the information you needed to find on this website?